This product includes 30 reading passages with comprehension questions. Each passage has a theme based on what “National Day” it is, like “National Labor Day,” “National Grandma Moses Day,” “Video Game Day,” and more! Kids are sure to love these fun and engaging reading passages.
There are also “Word of the Day” sheets that go along with the reading passages. Students will write the definition and part of speech for each word. Then they will write the word in a sentence, draw a picture and find synonyms and antonyms for the word.
The Word of the Day and Reading Comprehension sheets are both 1/2 sheets and can be printed back to back. There are two versions of each reading passage. One is more detailed with bigger vocabulary words. Both have the same comprehension questions but you can decide which ones fit the needs of your students best.
Also included are 30 journal prompt cards. The journal prompts are a mixture of narrative, opinion/persuasive, and informative writing prompts. The theme of the cards match the theme of the daily reading passages. You can use the reading passages and journal prompts as self-starts, during ELA center time, at the end of a lesson, as homework, or as part of your language arts daily routine. The options are endless!
Also included is a daily writing journal for students!
- September 1st Classical Music Month
- September 2nd National College Colors Day (Changes annually)
- September 3rd U.S. Bowling League Day
- September 4th National Newspaper Carrier Day
- September 5th National Labor Day (First Monday in September)
- September 6th National Read a Book Day
- September 7th National Grandma Moses Day
- September 8th Pianos
- September 9th National Teddy Bear Day
- September 10th National TV Dinner Day
- September 11th National Grandparents Day (The Sunday after Labor Day)
- September 12th National Video Games Day
- September 13th National Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day
- September 14th National Eat a Hoagie Day
- September 15th International Square Dancing Month
- September 16th National Anne Bradstreet Day
- September 17th Constitution Day
- September 18th Air Force Birthday
- September 19th Talk Like a Pirate Day
- September 20th National Chicken Month
- September 21st National Honey Month
- September 22nd Elephant Appreciation Day
- September 23rd National Great American Pot Pie Day
- September 24th National Punctuation Day
- September 25th National Comic Book Day
- September 26th National Johnny Appleseed Day
- September 27th Women Voters
- September 28th National Rice Month
- September 29th National VFW Day
- September 30th National Chewing Gum Day
Other Monthly Reading Passages Here: