I have set up a writing unit for the month of September. There are three projects, one for argumentative writing, informative writing, and narrative writing. All the projects and lessons are aligned with the common core for 6th grade.
Each project has 5 lessons. The themes for each lesson center around getting to know your students, and the first month of school. In the first lesson I also offer a “Technology Twist.” This also goes with the common core, I provide the objective it meets. This is a fun way to engage your students with technology. Also provided are anchor charts for writing introductions, conclusions, transitions, and writing a thesis. I made teacher sized charts, as well as student sized charts that can be kept at student desks or in a writing journal. Last, there are 6 center ideas that focus on the 6 traits of writing. I do rotations in my 6th grade classroom three to four times a week. I would use these as centers throughout the week, maybe even repeat some of these rotations if possible, to reinforce the writing technique.
- General writing Rubric
- Anchor charts: Tips for a Strong Persuasive Introduction, Tips for a Strong Informative Introduction, Tips for a Strong Narrative Introduction, Tips for a Strong Persuasive Conclusion, Tips for a Strong Informative Conclusion, Tips for a Strong Narrative Conclusion, Tips for a Strong Thesis Transition, Words Oreo, Paragraph Writing Lesson
- 5 Lessons for an argumentative writing unit–final project is an essay for a class debate.
- 5 lessons for an informative writing unit–final project is a magazine article.
- 5 lessons for a narrative writing unit–final project is to create a story book titled, “My Very Bad, No Good, First Day of School.”
- 6 Traits of Writing Center Ideas–One for each trait Each unit has several graphic organizers and templates.
Also included are peer and teacher editing checklists. Check out the ENTIRE Bundle: 6th Grade Writing by the Month Bundle: The Entire Year!
Check out my other Writing by the Month Products!
- Halloween Writing by the Month: October. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- Thanksgiving Writing by the Month: November. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- Christmas Writing by the Month: December. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- January Writing by the Month: Fairy Tales. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- February Writing by the Month: Myths. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- March Writing by the Month: Country Reports. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- April Writing by the Month: Autobiographies and Biographies. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- May Writing by the Month: A Super End of the Year. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned