*This is my favorite writing unit I have created so far! Read below and download the preview for more information. *In the fourth grade common core there are 2 standards that specifically mention myths. This is a great writing unit to accompany a mythological reading unit.
Using This Product in Your Classroom
This is a writing unit for the month of February that covers Common Core standards for 4th grade writing. However, if you are not following my “Writing by the Month” lesson plans, this can certainly be taught any month of the year you see fit. The standard and objectives are written on each lesson. For each writing topic of persuasive, informative, and narrative writing there are 4-5 lessons. The lessons build on each other and end with a final writing project.
For Persuasive Writing the students will write persuading their school to choose the god or goddess of their choice as the school mascot.
Informative Writing will include a research project writing about a Greek god or goddess of their choice. The final project will be to put together a paper bag report.
Finally, for Narrative Writing, students will write their own original myth. With the anchor charts, I would print them out and laminate them to hang in the classroom and refer to as needed. This product also includes 6 writing centers that are Ancient Greek themed and cover the 6 traits of writing.
Last, there are 8 journal prompts that are Ancient Greek themed as well. These could be used during center time or for a self start.
Standards covered are:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.4 (This standard specifically mentions mythology)
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.9(This standard specifically mentions mythology)
Check out the ENTIRE Writing by the Month Bundle: 4th Grade Writing by the Month Bundle: The Entire Year!
Check out my other Writing by the Month Products:
- Halloween Writing by the Month: October. Grade 4 Common Core Aligned
- Thanksgiving Writing by the Month: November. Grade 4 Common Core Aligned
- Christmas Writing by the Month: December. Grade 4 Common Core Aligned
- January Writing by the Month: Fairy Tales. Grade 4 Common Core Aligned
- Back to School Writing by the Month: September. Grade 4 Common Core Aligned
- March Writing by the Month: Country Reports. Grade 4 Common Core Aligned