Using This Product in Your Classroom
This is a writing unit for the month of December that covers Common Core standards for 5th grade writing. The standard and objectives are written on each lesson. For each writing topic of persuasive, informative, and narrative writing there are 4-5 lessons. The lessons build on each other and end with a final writing project.
For Persuasive Writing the students will write an email to Santa Claus persuading him which gift to give them for Christmas.
Informative Writing will include a compare and contrast essay where students compare their Christmas traditions to those in another country.
Finally, for Narrative Writing, students will write their own version of what snowmen do at night and turn it into a small picture book. With the anchor charts, I would print them out and laminate them to hang in the classroom and refer to as needed. This product also includes 6 writing centers that are December/Christmas themed that cover the 6 traits of writing.
Last, there are 8 journal prompts that are December themed. These could be used during center time or for a self start.
Good luck and enjoy!
Standards covered are:
Check out the 5th Grade Writing by the Month Bundle: The Entire Year!
Check out my other Writing by the Month Products:
- Halloween Writing by the Month: October. Grade 5 Common Core Aligned
- Thanksgiving Writing by the Month: November. Grade 5 Common Core Aligned
- Back to School Writing by the Month: September. Grade 5 Common Core Aligned
- January Writing by the Month: Fairy Tales. Grade 5 Common Core Aligned
- February Writing by the Month: Myths. Grade 5 Common Core Aligned
- March Writing by the Month: Country Reports. Grade 5 Common Core Aligned