**This unit is all about fairy tales. It does not need to be used in January, however if you have used my other Writing by the Months, I chose January’s theme as Fairy Tales.
This product includes three sets of lessons, each focused on a different CCSS writing task: informative writing, narrative writing, and persuasive writing. Each set of lessons builds on each other with a culminating writing project.
Using This Product in Your Classroom
This is a writing unit for the month of January that covers Common Core standards for 6th grade writing. The standard and objectives are written on each lesson. For each writing topic of persuasive, informative, and narrative writing there are 4-5 lessons. The lessons build on each other and end with a final writing project.
For Persuasive Writing the students will write from the perspective of a fairy tale villain explaining why they aren’t that bad.
Informative Writing will include a compare and contrast essay where students compare and contrast a traditional fairy tale to a fractured one. The ending project for informative writing will be to put a lapbook together.
Finally, for Narrative Writing, students will write their own fractured fairy tale. With the anchor charts, I would print them out and laminate them to hang in the classroom and refer to as needed. This product also includes 6 writing centers that are fairy tale themed and cover the 6 traits of writing. Last, there are 8 journal prompts that are fairy tale themed. These could be used during center time or for a self start.
Good luck and enjoy!
Standards covered are:
Check out the ENTIRE Bundle: 6th Grade Writing by the Month Bundle: The Entire Year!
Check out my other Writing by the Month Products!
- Back to School Writing by the Month: September. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- Halloween Writing by the Month: October. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- Thanksgiving Writing by the Month: November. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- Christmas Writing by the Month: December. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- February Writing by the Month: Myths. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- Myths Writing by the Month:February. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned
- March Writing by the Month: Country Reports. Grade 6 Common Core Aligned